About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Committing the felony of Eating, praying, loving..

I bought this book "Eat,Pray,Love" (Elizabeth Gilbert), from a roadside hawker, few months back. Those xeroxed ones.
But after reading 229 pages of it, I realized it started repeating the previous pages and many of the pages in between were lost.

So I went back to that place and asked him to exchange it.
He said, he dint have any copy of that book with him anymore, and added
     "Why dont you read 'Committed", its from the same author".
As if the same author means the same book?!
I dint want to read "Committed", so I said I will wait for "Eat,Pray,Love",

I kept going to him, once every week, and this continued for a month
And each time, he tried handing me "Committed".
Finally I thought I will bargain for some other book with him.

But I desperately wanted to read that book so I started trying at other places.

I encompassed a whole of 4 kilometers around my area for that book, and interestingly none of them had it. And EACH one of them tried handing over "Committed" to me.(With the same story about how its from the same author)

This began amusing me, and then I deliberately started asking any hawker I saw, for this book Knowing fully well he wont have it. Just to see if he offers me "Committed" or not. And they all did!

After a while I started feeling as if this was some sign.
As if God was trying to tell me "You have done enough of eating, praying and loving,  now its time to go "Committed"!"

I finally exchanged my "Eat, Pray,Love" with "Committed", from the original shop.
But I wont be opening a page from that book, unless I find and finish my "Eat,Pray,Love"

I am adamant to finish all my eating, praying and loving...till its time for "Committed"..
And the time is never right...unless it feels absolutely right



I wonder if all the mystery in me, my joie de vivre, my humour, my wit will be enough to survive a witless, lackluster, self obsessed, insipid man. Sometimes I get a feeling, it just might.
I dont really need to find my equal.
If yes, then marriage is good, if no then its scary
Cos in the end, it will only be me..its all about me

23 comments:

wildflower said...

Committed is the best! One of my favorites..have fun reading it

WritingsForLife said...

Aww... I know how it feels when your precious book slips out of your hands. If you send me an address, I'll send you a copy of it and a complete on at that :-)

Sh@s said...

I couldn't help but laugh at the conclusion that you drew. Strange, how recurrence of things makes us see it as a sign from above. Hope you find the book soon.

Arundhati said...

Eat Pray Love is a nice book! Sometimes a little too informative but nice. Haven't read Committed yet. I will, soon!

Love.

WomanInLove said...

Wildflower - Usually sequels are wishy-washy, but I will take your word for it. Though it will take me a while to start Committed

Raaji - Thanks dear, but I guess each of us would need to buy ones own copy of "Eat,Pray,Love" :) Maybe instead of roadside hawkers, I need to check out grand book stores, maybe I am not looking at the right places

WomanInLove said...

@sh@s - True, and it also depends on your state of mind at that point in tiem :)

I do, I do - Welcome here.From what I read, I liked it. It sure is informative, but sometimes every book tends to be overbearing in some way or the other, and I try to take out the best from it

S. Susan Deborah said...

This was definitely hilarious. One cannot read the Sequel without reading the first one and if the shop-keepers try to push Committed, they are very good businessmen!

Joy always,
Susan

WomanInLove said...

Susan - Exactly. Had to relent in the end cos the search was getting endless

rhye said...

i watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love. All I can say is I hope the book is better.

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Being some kind of a war veteran, having witnessed and participated in countless battles, I find myself speechless as far as the institution of marriage is concerned. However, I do agree with you regarding the last few lines you have written in bold/italics. I keep repeating that for a marriage to survive, at least one of the two should be a fool; and for a beautiful and intelligent woman like you, a foolish husband is the best bet.

Congreve observed: "Tho' marriage makes man and wife one flesh, it leaves 'em still two fools".

And yes, you don't need to find your equal, but your inferior. Happy husband hunting:)

WomanInLove said...

Ateesha - I have seen the movie but from the 229 pages I read, movie is not even 1% of what the novel is

Syed - Ha No! I will never associate the word "hunting" with "husband" And definitely not the word "Happy" with "Hunting". Husbands should happen, not hunted :) And I get tired of a fool in an hours, how would I tolerate him for lifetime, or how would he be able to take my wrath

Aashayein said...

Eat, Pray and Love is a personal favourite...and I totaly agree wid u..everyone should have their own copy of eat,pray and love....I completed it some five six months back...and committed is still lying on my desk...hv been trying to start it since two months...lets see when I actually start with it!

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Try, you'll enjoy it thoroughly; that's the best way to find one.

Love happens, not husbands.

And, keeping pace in order to match an equally intelligent and witty person throughout your life is definitely a more trying and exhausting job than simply tolerating a fool, who has his uses for the mundane and monotonous aspects of housemaking:)

WomanInLove said...

Mansi - Maybe its not yet time for you to read Committed :)

Syed - Then I am better left alone, cos life has not taught me to tolerate anything. Only enjoy. And I have already made a home for myself :) So do you enjoy it thoroughly? :P

Syed Ali Hamid said...

You never know; it may become an amusing tolerance:)

Never did any kind of hunting in my life, so no question of enjoying it; and, at my age, I just wait, quietly, perhaps for a huntress to pass by....

WomanInLove said...

Syed - Tolerance will be amusing, if only he amuses me in many other ways..

See, you also wait, but not hunt!

Bin maange moti mile, maange mile na bheekh - I think thats kabir ;)

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Obviously he will; ye to uski khushqismati hogi, husn ki khidmat karna.

WomanInLove said...

Syed - khidmat ki nahin hum khushi ki baat kar rahe
And you cant find it in fools..its been tried and tested
So no more of that

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Ah, the naivete of youth,
and
the cynicism of old age;
never the twain shall meet, is'nt it?

WomanInLove said...

They do..people are different
Someone older than you can be more naieve than me
And I am not naive anymore, its just a difference in personalities
Thats why you did not hunt, and I can not settle(though many people my age consider me crazy for this)
SO I dont think age has got anything to do with it

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Umr saari to kati ishq-e-butaan mein 'Momin'
Aakhri waqt mein kya khaak musalmaan honge.

WomanInLove said...

Ye aakhari umar to nahi Syed..come on!

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Hausla afzai ka shukriya; ishq-e-butaan badastoor jaari rahega.