About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Father figure

My upbringing could be labelled as extremely un-conventional, by Indian standards
I never had a male member in the family, who dominated the household

My father not the archetypical indian father, what with each of us having a different surname, more like a second name than the family name which people usually carry

When my other girlfriends spoke of how they would have fun while their respective fathers were at work, and had to behave properly once the man of the house was home, I felt disconnected
Cos it was exactly the opposite in my house

We would sit late in the mornings, on holidays, sitting with tea and papa
Talking of what love is all about..my father reading excerpts from "Brother's Karamazov" to us
Ma getting angry and probably jealous, cos she had to cook and miss being part of that gang

And somewhere amidst all this, we(mainly I) became feminists(!?)
Well well, this word "feminist:" has such nasty connotations nowadays,  that saying it makes me feel like an old hag who is out there to kill all men
And the whole essence of it is gone, by all this humbug created around it, by some men/women

 But secretly I wished I had something similar to say, like my other friends. This duality lent them such an air of mystery and exclusiveness that I missed being that girl. I envied that they were more special than I was, who was given all the liberty in the world. As if no one cared!

Maybe thats the reason why seeing an elderly man anywhere makes me respectful towards him, brings out the gentler side of me
Many a times in my moments of distress, I always imagined a huge hand on my head, patting me and saying "It will be fine, I am there". And that someone is a man, a man who knows me inside out

All that makes me think...
Is it that inspite of all this liberation talks, women actually want and need to be subdued?
Is there a desire in them to be ruled? Is that the law of nature?
Do we have this inherent need to be dominated, is that the only way they can love a man?Do we all women need a man who tells us you are nothing, you mean something only cos you are attached to me?

Are we all looking for that "father figure", who tells us and controls us in a way which makes us respect him?

I mean if I have to marry, I will always look for someone who is either my equal or better. In terms of money as well as personality.
But for a man, a pretty wife is pretty much fine. Her education,job are just fancy stuff which they might like and admire. But not a must. Why dont men have such mandates as well?

I think its a catch 22 situation, for at least women like me.
I would like to be controlled by a man, but the kind of control a man exercises, without actually owning me and my heart, makes me refute it.

Some men try to be God, even before they do anything close to being a God.

Whenever I sit in front of God's deities in my house, even for a few seconds, I feel peace.
I feel I am taken care of, that I will never be mistaken by almighty.
That I dont have to fight for smallest of my human rights with him/her.
Be it changing your surname when you get married, to your role change from a daughter to a daughter in law, from assuming you would leave your job always to accompany your husband in his ambitions...etc etc

My GOD - s/he does not judge me for any and every thing, s/he loves me like someone who loves a butterfly full of colors, for my beauty and for my mischief..
There are no questions big enough to be answered, as everything I am is known to him
I can sit in his/her cradle and be everything that I ever wished to be, and s/he just indulges me
While I value him, for being all this and strive to be the woman of his desires

If a man can make me feel all of that, then maybe he can be my God!

11 comments:

Anisha said...

I have also grown up with a father who didn't point out my sartorial choices or the friends I had or places I went with them.
But he had a silent disciplinary air about him that made me know my limits. I'm not the best daughter obviously and I ave defied my parents' advices on more occasions than one but I am not someone that he would be ashamed of to call his daughter.
So I agree with you strongly.I think men should be such. Present in our lives and in the right places.
Obviously not God but someone who brings us close to that feeling you listed :)
Love this post!

❤Not Just My Allegories❤

Syed Ali Hamid said...

For being your God, that's a tall order; almost Utopian.

Everybody needs a shoulder to lean on, in times of need or distress; and it has to be a strong and reliable person---male or female makes no difference. It's only because of social expectations/stereotypes that there seem to be more strong men than women; given a level playing field, the ratio would be entirely different.

The ideal image that one nurses is one of the root causes of much marital disharmony/failed relationships.

Why search for a God when a human being would serve your purposes as well. God is much more remote; even angels are difficult to find:

Farishtey tum bhi nahin ho farishtey hum bhi nahin/
Dono insaan hain to kyun itne hijabon mein milen.

Nirati said...

This is a beautifully written post.

I'd once replied to this female called 'Taslima Nasreen' on Twitter regarding something she'd said, she claims to be a feminist but a lot of times she's more of an anti-males than a feminist.
Like you said, the term has somehow lost it's original meaning, if you get what I'm trying to say.

I never had to "act" around my parents as well. Whenever we'd go over to friends' homes for projects, they would be like don't talk too loudly, or utter words like crap/shit or anything, don't do this, don't do that etc, but we never really had to pretend around my parents. I'm not saying we would run around screaming abuses, but I could be me. I could still comment on anything I wanted, and I'd get slashed too :P if it was wrong. And then we'd have "intense debates" (read fights. :P)..

I like the way you say the kind of control of a man you'd like. I agree with that!

And yes, God for me as well, isn't somebody who judges me. God is forgiving. I'm not very religious but I believe in 'God' as such.

Looong comment :P but I really liked reading this.
Take care!

@Tales of her and by her.
&
@Teenage Babblings
xx

WomanInLove said...

Anisha - Thanks a lot

Syed - A God is just a way to denote someone who could encompass all parts of my being, make me respect and love him. Insaan aur farishtey to bas shabd hain, they just depict a feeling in me

Blablaholic - Thanks a lot dear :) And long comments are always welcome

Syed Ali Hamid said...

The existence of such a God-like person, I believe, is hypothetical; two, or perhaps more persons are needed, which is not a bad idea at all:)

WomanInLove said...

Syed - I dont think its hypothetical, its just chance. You might meet that person, or you may never

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Halanke main aapki baat se qatai ittefaq nahin karta, phir bhi dua hai ke aisa shaqs aap ko mil jaaye.

WomanInLove said...

Its about how you dont ruin your believes based on what you get from life. And I strive to do that..keeps me afloat

Ghadeer said...

Beautifully written :)

Humayun Jamil said...

The environment a person
grows up in, molds his/her
personality to a
larger extent.
The eclectic ambiance
of your home must have
contributed to the
development of your
philosophical mind
and its thoughtful
musings.

You are absolutely
right.The innate
yearning to be
controlled in a woman
expresses itself only
when she finds someone
worthy of her
unconditional surrender.

WomanInLove said...

jnana - Thanks :)

Humayun - Thanks for your comment. You are so right about the last line