About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dealing with auto-wallahs in Bangalore

That's an ordeal..a daily encounter with auto rickshaw-wallahs leaves me cranky..each day!

Its like a roller coaster ride..it tries your patience..your self esteem..
you go from various emotions in those few minutes of getting an auto

The high and mighty look with which they ask you "where do you want to go?"
You hesitate,not knowing what the reaction could be..try to keep your calm and tell them your destination..

Now the reaction varies..if they don't want to go..sometimes they would not even bother to reply and act as if you don't exist and just wheeze past you without a 2nd look ..or give a disgusted shrug and move away..

Your confidence has gone down a little further..So when the next one comes along..you meekly ask if he will go to the place you want to..

If this one is a little more benign he would ask for an amount of "30 Rs" for a distance of just 1 km..and if you are not really desperate you would let him go (this time you would try to take revenge of the earlier attitude display of the fellow auto-wallah and try to redeem yourself with some attitude display from your side and let this one go with some disdain)

Sometime you would feel so exasperated by all the rejections by so many auto wallahs that finally you would be tempted to ask "I will go wherever your auto will take me..forget my destination!"

Sometime you would try to reason and discuss with them..as to why one should pay an exorbitant price for any place...but you know..you don't stand a chance

Their standard excuse is "we wont get any passenger from the place where you want to go"..whether it is a desolate area..or a crowded mall..or station..they have this patented reason for any amount they ask..and for any destination

Well..all said and done..I have somewhat come to terms with my relationship with these auto guys..and I take it with a pinch of salt..
Sometimes relenting ..other days preferring to walk a distance of 2 kms, if I am in one of my nastier moods!

9 comments:

offwhite said...

and they make you feel like it's a crime to go to m.g. road at 10 in the morning. but i must say, i have come across auto drivers who are surprisingly nice and do not utter the words 'double meter' until it's really late. but very rare. in fact today's papers carries an article about how a woman took on an auto driver, and he's in deep s**t :)

WomanInLove said...

@Vinod - Wow..an article on auto guy..I would love to read it..maybe someday I might feature there :) Yes good ones do exist but the bad ones outnumber them!

offwhite said...

yesterday's deccan herald i think. or the one on the day before.

~anu~ said...

:) sumo, time now, get a car! i will drive for you when i am back :)

WomanInLove said...

and when is that?? tum to rahne do!

Anonymous said...

i bought a car while in b'lore. My ego could not take any more rejections!

WomanInLove said...

I can not buy as I don't have confidence, in spite of a driving license

Anonymous said...

Hey, here is something to solve your Auto Woes:

http://www.easyauto.in/

WomanInLove said...

Hey..thanks...I hope that really works..Got to try it out soon :)