I can see both my parents in me so clearly at times. Its like I am living outside my body and watching them take over me.
Some things just show up out of the blue and am taken aback by the similarities.Especially things I used to dislike about them, showing in me
My mother does not like to wear slippers while at home. I would take her case on that and scare her with stories about all the insects going inside her system through her feet, but she would timidly tell me that its too much of a task to wear slippers while roaming around the house.It used to irritate me.
And now I see myself doing the same..I dont feel like taking the effort to put on slippers each time I have to move from hall to kitchen to bedroom. I give myself the excuse that my floor is really clean..but I know this is my mother in me
My father has this habit of carrying a camera wherever he goes..digi-cam, video camera..all of it. And he keeps juggling between them all through his trip, taking inane snaps or videos. And none of his pictures would feature him.
We would make fun of him and at times shout at him for making such a major show about it that he has no time to sit and talk with anyone
And now I see myself doing the same..well definitely not to that extent..but I have started taking pictures like a freak.
Specially many dont feature me, which is so unlike me.
I can feel that the same bug has gotten into me. And its definitely not a penchant for photography.
Maybe its an urge to replicate beauty..or an attempt to stay away from people..I cant say..
And then there are mad eccentricities of my father which I could never understand and now understand so well cos I see myself doing the same, irritating things about my mother, which manifests in different ways in me, like cleanliness mania, trying to have an order in everything etc etc
The funniest part is all contradicting character-streaks from both my parents show up in me..sometimes pulling me apart and sometimes I can only smile in exasperation and say that one cant fight one's genes..there is no getting away from it!
Maybe this is the best gift we can give to the ones who gave us life..

8 comments:
Even, I hate the idea of wearing slippers while roaming inside home and love to click snaps of places I go. Nice post :)
Thanks Rachit! I was a very much slipper-wearing girl...but never knew when that changed..
You said it for me.. :) I am the sum of their flaws, of what my mom criticizes in my dad and what my dad criticizes in my mom!
Yes wildflower, starge are the ways of this universe..
You make it sound almost like a disease :) :) .. like something overpowering us ... and yet its a great mystery .. why this happens to us all.
Very nice post, and you are absolutely right, the things that we didn't understand in our parents ... one day we see ourselves doing them ... it makes us more appreciative about them in a way .. and in a way it reminds one about the beauty of humanity.
Sorry I still can't help smiling at the last line u wrote .. "maybe its the best gift" ... because a gift is something you give on your own choice ... but this (that you are talking about) happens to us almost involuntarily ... so am wondering who actually got the gift .. :) Good observation and good post .. :)
@Anonymous - Who are you?
Gift by God maybe, indirectly by us
On walking barefoot, I can only remind you of the famous Raj Kumar dialogue from the film 'Pakeeza' : ...........inhe zameen pe mat rakhiye ga.........'
@Syed - :) would have been great if we had in-built slippers and dint have to put it on each time
Post a Comment