About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Monday, July 11, 2011

Forgetting is remembering

I have been practicing yoga off-late.

It takes a bit of me, outside of me, each time I do it.

Apart from all the difficult postures, and my aching body parts, there is one specific moment which scares me the most.

Its the shav-aasan(lie like a dead)

I have always been the one pretty sure of what I think and feel, but sometimes we see new things which shakes our perception about our own self.

So in this particular posture, all that one is supposed to do is lie down like a dead person, on your back and just relax.

The instructor keeps asking us to regulate our thought process.

He begins with "Concentrate on your body parts and observer them as a 3rd person"

Though I have a very wandering mind, I force myself to recall how my feet and toenails look like.

I try to think of my nail polish color and that sort of blocks away other thoughts and brings my meandering thoughts to a concentric point.

And finally he says, "Now stop all your thoughts and just forget"

That's the point when all thoughts come rushing to me
From the maid who is about to come in the morning..to colleagues..to work...every significant and insignificant in my life comes alive in my mind all together.

Like a jumbled up movie scene with grotesque sound track.

I am reminded of every hurtful thing said, any harshness I endured, all hurt and all pain hit like a barrage

It could be a way with yoga..maybe it tries to bring all of it to surface and then eliminate it all(can it ever??!!)

Like catharsis

I dont know, not sure of that feeling, but that's the point in yoga I wish him to end it fast.
I want to scream and tell him I got to go..am getting late for work..anything to run away

You said..forget the whole thing
And that's what I will always remember

5 comments:

Aashayein said...

Shav-asan is one of the most disturn=bing and difficult aasan!
It makes me uneasy too!

b/w I loved the last two lines!

Nirati said...

I've been going for yoga class since 2 months.. During Shavasan I have weird and completely random thoughts.. But I *try* to relax my body and soon I get into this whole i-am-sleeping-yet-not-asleep state! N just then the teacher asks us to wake up :/

WomanInLove said...

Mansi - Thanks. Yes it makes me claustrophobic

Drrama Queen - You are gr8! :) If I can do it one time, it will be bliss

Syed Ali Hamid said...

I never had the patience to do yoga; and whenever I tried to concentrate, like you have described, that was the time I could concentrate the least. Even now when I am forced to exercise in the morning (I never did such things earlier) for my spondilitis and back problem, I finish it in five minutes. You can imagine the results.

But I have achieved one thing; many times, I am the doer as well as the observer at the same time, which makes it easier for me to know myself.

Must congratulate you for persisting with your yoga. For me, it's like these lines from an old song(for yoga, concentration etc.):
Kya baat hai jaane teri mehfil mein sitamgar/
Dhadke hai dil-e-khaana kharaab aur zyaada.

WomanInLove said...

@Syed - I am readign "Eat Pray Love" and there she talks so much about concentration and how all of us can with practice.

Maybe with the right teacher.

Thanks..I hope to contiune yoga cos I have heard about its immense benefits.

And that sher is funny in the context :)