Those of you who have not yet seen this ad, take a look to understand the context of this conversation..
Me and my cousin were lazily lying on sofa, with tea in our hands and staring at tv mindlessly, hardly aware of what we were watching, when this ad pops up
This starts off our mind and this intellectual conversation:
I - "This ad irks me to no end, for some reason"
She - "I hate this guy, and his smile with chocolate stuffed in his mouth'
I - "Oh I hate them both! What the hell are they trying to show?Do they think its cute?"
She - "Besharm ladka hai(Shameless guy that kiddo)! He is being introduced to the girl's father and look at his insolence and disrespect, to smile like that!! With chocolate smeared all over his mouth!"
I - "Jab khud ka hi sikka khota ho to ladke ki kya galti hai(If you own daughter does not care, why blame the guy)? She should be the one bothering about loafing around with that guy on stair case when her father crosses them. If she does not give due respect, why would the guy bother a bit? This ad is endorsing wrong values. Will give wrong ideas to teenagers"
By the time I finished my statement, I started laughing and we both collapsed. At the seriousness of our tone, on this harmlessness ad
We women have the capacity to dissect every innocuous thing, and tear it to shreds
Also, we invariably find a reason to blame our own gender(though in this context this blame was not ill placed :)
But seriously, that ad is done in a very bad taste. Later when I searched for this ad on you tube, I found similar comments from others

8 comments:
yeah, it's a very suggestive ad, with the chocolate on their faces and the father's lack of understanding. the boy's expression says i don't care much how you react. the ad pits the younger generation against the older one. standard ad values in this culture.
i can go off on reading into it too:)
Well, it is often said that women's worst enemies are women, the saas-bahu quarrels, the role of women in bride-burning/harrassment being obvious examples; but the reasons behind such behavoiur are socio-psychological.
Ed - You bet! I could go on too, but I spared cos the length of this ad was just 30 seconds :) Thanks for reading
Syed - Yes, maybe cos we understand our own kind better and resent ourselves when we resent them
But in this specific case, I would say it was right :) At least the nature of the ad isn't very likeable
i thought it was just another innocent ad. The father couldn't find it in himself to object, though he probably wanted to, because they both looked so childish ... like mud spattered children.
Fawzy - Maybe thats another way of looking at it. But for me it lacked the innocence factor
I'd like to talk to you Woman In love
sometime
don't worry
nothing harsh or personal
hollybeatles@gmail.com
add me..
but if you don't it is okay
I won't mind:P
don't publish my comments:P
the feeling lioness - sorry was busy with something so dint get to visit my blog. will add you, curious to know what you want to talk about
Post a Comment