It bewildered me. Why would someone want to change one's religion which s/he is born with? Whats this strong connect/disconnect to religion that so many people seem to exhibit? "I am an atheist"..I have heard that statement many times and I feel that if people can be fanatic about their religions, then even atheism is a sort of fanaticism
If you want to defy existence of God, and display it by doing things like not entering temple and standing outside when made to accompany, then you are actually in some way emphasizing the existence of God. You are no better than a fanatic in my eyes.
And I find it funny why someone would want to change the religion they are born with? Is it like a hobby or some school which you change?
What is it that you are seeking in different religions?
Isn't every religion about self discovery in the end? How would learning how to put on a turban and everything else that goes with it, help you in knowing yourself? What was missing in what you believed earlier?
What is this hoopla over religion?
I follow my religion cos I was born with it, that's what I grew up with.
I like my religion for many things..like the smell of incense which fills my house, like the beautiful colors of my deities, like so many stories around each of them.
But most importantly cos my religion wasn't thrust on my face by my folks.
I was never forced into anything, and never stopped from anything, for the sake of religion.
Even though there are restrictions on women in my religion to practice a few things, like you are not supposed to enter temple in one of those days etc. But my parents never bothered to tell me that(by parents I mean my mom, my father is happy being an atheist thought he would not practice it as a law anyway). I learnt it from other girl friends of mine, or other relatives.
And the best thing(for me) which I love about praying is total submission to someone(I call it God). A thing seen rarely in me as a person. I like the way I bow my head in total faith and regard. I sometimes beg, sometimes just blank out. A feeling of total belonging and unquestioned trust. Which I cant seem to have for anyone else in life. Not to forget the perennial hope which comes with my belief
I had gone to a masjid near Charminar in Hyderabad. There is some mystery about a masjid which enchants me and made me want to enter it. But I was stopped and told that women are not supposed to enter. The front bearers of that place looked at me with some ridicule and disdain. I was enraged and wanted to utter something, but checked myself. It wasnt my place.
I once went to a church in US, it was thanks giving or some such important day for the church. I had a catholic friend with me. At the end of the ceremony, all made a line and went up till the priest who was giving some white colored thing to eat. He was feeding each of them with his hand. My friend said I should not do that since only Catholics, who are baptized, should take that. I was irritated, and determined to take that thing. But the moment I reached the priest, I felt some fear. As if I am peeking inside some sacred secrets which I am not supposed to. A feeling of unknown guilt came over me and I backed out.
I hate it when I have to check myself, without knowing why I am doing it. I want to go with the flow of things, and for me anything is not consummated if not done in its entirety. So for me getting that white thing from the priest would have consummated the whole festive mood, but I had to miss it
On these two occasions I realized what probably makes an atheist. Maybe its the restrictions and bars by each religion which makes one loathe it. Which makes one stop believing in a God, who conforms to such baseless things.
Hence they make atheism their religion.
I can never become an atheist though, maybe I have selfish reasons for that.

11 comments:
Very interesting. I remember a conversation with a Danish exchange student while doing my MBA. She was a Lutheran by belief. She visited the Kali temple in Dakshineswar and told me the sounds of the drums, the colour and the fervour made her feel the power of god in our temples. And I told her about a catholic church in chennai where the quietness, peace and solitude made the feel the presence of god in that church. Maybe both of us were perfectly right or terribly wrong! we both felt something, albeit temporarily outside our religion which anyway existed in our religions! Or maybe some cases God chooses to connect to us through a religion other what we were born in! Nice post.
@WomanInLove, you have made some very pertinent and minute observations. I don't see any need to change one's religion; if I as a Muslim find something relevant/meaningful, say in "The Bhagavadgita", why can't I follow it without changing my religion? Or, for that matter, if some Hindu feels that the Kerbala Tragedy(the martyrdom of Imam Husain observed in Mohurrum) is meaningful for him/her, is conversion needed for that? Don't we read so many philosophers and get influenced by their thoughts? Is there some hassle only because a particular event/thought/philosophy is associated with a particular religion?
It is the religious leaders who have made it insular, created this Us/Them divide for their own vested interests. I have visited so many temples including the one at Badrinath and I have never felt ill at ease in them at all; and this has never come in the way of my being a Shia Muslim. How can one be an Indian and distance oneself from Indian philosophy? For me, it is the philosophy that matters rather than the rituals; and as far as this is concerned, there can be no conflicts.
Changing one's religion is like changing one's nationality; it can only be superficial.
As the old saying goes, "Naya mulla pyaaz zyada khata hai". Perhaps, she's trying to convince herself.
You can read this sh'er(by Shabeena Adeeb), albeit in this new context:
Jo khaandani rais hain wo, mizaj rakhte hain narm apna/
Tumhara lahja bata raha hai, tumhari daulat nayi nayi hai.
HAPPY DIWALI.
i very nearly changed my religion. twice. to christianity and islam. but now i realise you just can't change your religion. took me some really hard lessons and some time to realise this. but this is who i am and this is who i will be. i don't think anyone can be an atheist. and those who say they are one, need some really intense soul searching.
Syed - Yeah, tell me about these nouveau riche. And a very happy diwali to you too.
Ateesha - Really. Once I over heard a teenager telling her friend that she want to become o a christian now. She said as if it was a fad, and she has to follow it. I feel scared and pity when I meet someone with misplaced sense of identity. But maybe all have to follow their mind and find things for themselves, as you did. Atheism is totally superficial, according to me
Ok..I will thrown in my few cents here. I don't usually go to temples. By Usually I mean..I have not been to a temple for many years...but I had to accompany my mother on a few occasions..and what I saw filled in me a bit of disgust. The priests there..behaved in such a manner..and asking for money to given...and more materials to be given as offering to god..and the imaginable rush to go inside the temple...all these things combined in a manner..which told me...why do I need to go a temple to find my god? Why do I need to follow a religion? I don't know if god exists..I do not pray much...but I believe, God(or I call them..the good forces of nature) is everywhere...and I can ask for their guidance, their support, talk to them, interact to them...from everywhere. All religions are same. There is no bad or a good religion. Its just about belief. If I consider every religion as same, then it does not matter..what religion was I born with..right? We just have to be honest with our self...and find beauty in everything..and we will be closer to god.. :)
And I really like this sentence..
If you want to defy existence of God, and display it by doing things like not entering temple and standing outside when made to accompany, then you are actually in some way emphasizing the existence of God.
Quite apt!
Kunal - Yes we dont need to follow religion but have faith. But if the same faith for some exists as God, then why keep changing religion?
And one can refuse not to enter a temple for different reasons like the ones you mentioned, but some people I know make it such an argument about if God exists or not, that I find it simple waste of time and energy to dig into something we will never know in this life
Please don't ask me to talk about them; I've been suffering one, perforce circumstances beyond my control and the experience is, to put it very mildly, anything but pleasant.
Regarding the existence of God, there's no point in arguing about it, as you rightly say, since it is a matter of faith and belief.
Its not just your lifestyle or to whom you pray.
There are many reasons why people would choose to believe or not, for example:
- Some people look at the world around them, see terrible injustice, poverty & intense suffering and think that there cant be a God; they may become a disbeliever or an atheist!
- Some people may be awed by the miracle of creation and how perfectly balanced nature is (the Golden ratio, for example) and may think, this is by design, it cant be random and may decide to belive in a super-power above.
The above are just examples - Each person has a reason for believeing or not, and as for changing your faith, if it makes more sense to them and brings them peace, people do it! Just my two cents :)
V - As long as one knows and feels s/he is a good person, and follows humanity, there is no reason to run between religions. Noone can teach you to be nice and good and just. Its your own thing, your own doing, your karma
Post a Comment