I trudged along, carrying those heavy grocery laden bags in my hand, my huge vanity bag on my shoulder and some other stuff.
I had vowed I would not take and auto, I needed to feel some pain.
Drudgery of the day added to all of it, and it started getting difficult with each step.
I am a girl of petite frame and soft skin, so soon I could see red marks on my palm, where the carry bag strips met them.
But I dint pity myself,
At that moment I realized there was some sanity in religious fanatics flagellating themselves and crying "Haaye Hassan", the self-inflicted pain can be a source of derisive pleasure at times. I felt avenged of myself, of all my sins
I felt it was a way of punishing myself
Punishment for being with wrong people, at right times of my life
Punishment for learning driving and having a license, yet not having enough guts to start driving
Punishment for absconding from my blog, for irrelevant people
Punishment for not being able to ignore things, and letting my anger get the better of me
Punishment for devouring life, treating it like a play-thing, submerging my life in my whims, meeting it headlong, trying to give it back in rage, as it gave me opportunities in love
But my red marks were threatening to become a bruise and I could not walk even for 30 seconds at stretch, with all that weight.
So I started taking short breaks, stopping and just looking around, and having other people give me weird looks
After a good ten minutes, there was a bus stop and I thought of sitting on the bench and just relaxing my palms
I was listlessly looking around, when I saw these 2 women, talking and laughing
They seemed so much one with happiness, on a high.
They were nudging, teasing, mocking...(I took their pic, but came too dark so I posted one from net)
I looked at them closely, trying to decipher the source of their high
But they seemed well in their 50s
They feel the world belongs to them, and waits on them
But no, they were not the conventional traffic stoppers either
And it pleasantly struck me, they were high on life
This life, as it was then, in that moment...
They were high on their everyday-ness, the same mornings and evenins
Past and future were in limbo
At least for those moments
And I instantly scribbled this in my notepad:
So I threw my head back, let my hair fall all around, picked up the bags and headed home, stopping at a medical shop to get some ointment for the bruise.
Hoping that tomorrow morning, all my scars would be healed.
And they will be, nothing in life is permanent
Note - It was good to be away, but its better to be back.
Packed with armor of my arrogance, and power to ignore the ignorables
I had vowed I would not take and auto, I needed to feel some pain.
Drudgery of the day added to all of it, and it started getting difficult with each step.
I am a girl of petite frame and soft skin, so soon I could see red marks on my palm, where the carry bag strips met them.
But I dint pity myself,
At that moment I realized there was some sanity in religious fanatics flagellating themselves and crying "Haaye Hassan", the self-inflicted pain can be a source of derisive pleasure at times. I felt avenged of myself, of all my sins
I felt it was a way of punishing myself
Punishment for being with wrong people, at right times of my life
Punishment for learning driving and having a license, yet not having enough guts to start driving
Punishment for absconding from my blog, for irrelevant people
Punishment for not being able to ignore things, and letting my anger get the better of me
Punishment for devouring life, treating it like a play-thing, submerging my life in my whims, meeting it headlong, trying to give it back in rage, as it gave me opportunities in love
But my red marks were threatening to become a bruise and I could not walk even for 30 seconds at stretch, with all that weight.
So I started taking short breaks, stopping and just looking around, and having other people give me weird looks
After a good ten minutes, there was a bus stop and I thought of sitting on the bench and just relaxing my palms
I was listlessly looking around, when I saw these 2 women, talking and laughing
They seemed so much one with happiness, on a high.
They were nudging, teasing, mocking...(I took their pic, but came too dark so I posted one from net)
![]() |
| I laugh cos like is happening to me |
I looked at them closely, trying to decipher the source of their high
Were they young?
Youth is a high in itself, as if the world is yours and waits for you to laughBut they seemed well in their 50s
Were they gorgeous?
Beauty, of the kind which makes the world go weak in knees, makes the owner of the beauty giddy at timesThey feel the world belongs to them, and waits on them
But no, they were not the conventional traffic stoppers either
Were they high on their richness?
But that could not be, else they would not be waiting for a busAnd it pleasantly struck me, they were high on life
This life, as it was then, in that moment...
They were high on their everyday-ness, the same mornings and evenins
Past and future were in limbo
At least for those moments
And I instantly scribbled this in my notepad:
I have looked for highs on mountain and cliffs
But realized, there is a high in every low
For every trough, there is a crest
Sinusoidal wave, this life is
My life, my opium
So I threw my head back, let my hair fall all around, picked up the bags and headed home, stopping at a medical shop to get some ointment for the bruise.
Hoping that tomorrow morning, all my scars would be healed.
And they will be, nothing in life is permanent
Note - It was good to be away, but its better to be back.
Packed with armor of my arrogance, and power to ignore the ignorables


12 comments:
When we are young, we set goals and work towards achieving them, ignoring the small, delicate feelings of life. We are under the assumption that it is this achievement that will give us happiness, nothing less. But later, an evolving individual realizes that all happiness is momentary, whether it comes from a long awaited, worked-for achievement, or, from as small a thing as an oblique glance from a passing-by beautiful woman. And, if you don't achieve your goal, then it creates hell for you inside. Therefore, at a certain age, one realizes that real happiness lies in the small things of life, like some moments shared with a friend, while waiting for a bus, as you have described. Only obsessive, one-track mind people do not realize this.
But, our very own petite, delicate and beautiful WIL has realized this and this epiphany proves that she is an evolving individual.
And, there is an intrinsic relationship between pain and pleasure, as much poetry on romantic love will testify:
Koi mere dil se poonche tere teer-e-neemkash ko/
Ye khalish kahan se hoti jo jigar ke paar hota.
Wounds keep healing, becoming fresh again sometimes, mix with new wounds and heal again; this is a life-long process. Fikr to aapke haaton ki hai.
Lambe arse ke baad aamad par khushaamdeed.
"I have looked for highs on mountain and cliffs
But realized, there is a high in every low
For every trough, there is a crest
Sinusoidal wave, this life is
My life, my opium"
What beautiful words!
I liked this post.
Gave me some much needed hope
x
you are going to find something special, as you already have, because you are a searcher. this moment of the two women is fascinating. people who enjoy life so easily know a secret. it's a rare person who 'gets it' all the time, but the lucky ones get it much of the time. i have battled with depression, and being happy regularly is no small trick. your vision is keen. good to see you back:)
Welcome back! :)
very well written.. such little moments, sometimes, certainly give u great insights to life!
V r fortunate to come across dem n grasp their beauty..
Loved the wrds! my life, my opium!
Syed - The bruise is gone but that place has hardened. Its like heart, which gets hardened after every catastrophe it goes thru, bracing for whats next to come. Thank you
Blahblaholic - Thank you. You look really sweet
Ed - Searcher, yes for sure. And one who "gets" it all the time is a yogic..we can only aim to be there. Or maybe find happiness when we can and appreciate it
Neha - Thank you, some people might ridicule what I think, but secrets of living are for none to judge
loved it to the core
sometyms post like this gives u sme bizarre power to deal wid our oen problems!!
and yes..
welcome back!
Thanks Mansi..we bloggers are always connected that way
Good to see you back after a while. I thought you evaporated :)
The two women in the post are beautiful no doubt and it seems they are like cocoons in a basket, completely absorbed in one another, basking in each other's ageless grace. Just amazing.
Thanks Sayanatn. I have crystallized now :)
lovely words that you have scribbled
I could relate a lot, this time
such a delicate and complex mood and theme.. and u ve handled it so well<3
Purely thinking and surprising yourself every moment in life..
Good for you that you were looking here and there that you found such a beautiful reason to write what you wrote :)
As i have come for the first time on your blog i would like to read more often than not so don't get missing :)
Quite thoughtful!
Alcina-Afixxion Addixt
Alcina - Thanks a lot and I wont go missing anymore for sure
pygmalion - Thank you dear :)
Post a Comment