Yes he has and I love him for all that he is and more..
Here is my FB post which I put up last month
October is the month of down syndrome awareness and in this month(after much apprehensions) I choose to make the small world in FB aware of the fact that my baby has down syndrome and it means nothing compared to the possibilities and potentials he has
I will be posting more DS myths in days to come but today I want to just share this small story someone posted in another group:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of special needs children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of special needs children are chosen ? Somehow, I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.
„Armstrong, Beth; son; patron saint, Matthew.“
„Forrester, Marjorie; daughter; patron saint, Cecelia.“
„Rudledge, Carrie; twins; patron saint… give her Gerard. He’s used to profanity.“
Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles, „Give her a special needs child.“
The angel is curious. „Why this one, God ? She’s so happy.“
„Exactly,“ smiles God.
„Could I give a special needs child a mother who does not know laughter ? That would be cruel.“
„But has she patience ?“ asks the angel.
„I don’t want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she’ll handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence. She’ll have to teach the child to live in her world and that’s not going to be easy.“
„But, Lord, I don’t think she even believes in you.“
God smiles. „No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness.“
The angel gasps, „Selfishness ? Is that a virtue ?“
God nods. „If she can’t seperate herself from the child occasionally, she’ll never survive. Yes, there is a woman I will bless with a child less then perfect. She doesn’t realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a ‚spoken word.‘ She will never consider a ‚step‘ ordinary. When her child says ‚Momma‘ for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it ! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations.
„I will permit her to see clearly the things I see — ignorance, cruelty, prejudice — and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side.“
„And what about her patron saint ?“ asks the angel, his pen poised in midair.
God smiles. “ A mirror will suffice.“
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS myth : Down syndrome is genetic so there's nothing you can do to treat it. Just take her home and love him.
DS reality : Ds is genetic. There is no cure, but the underlying mechanisms are biochemical and thus can be treated through diet, supplementation and targeted nutritional intervention. Even cognitive delays are now being treated.Unfortunately, most doctors receive less than 24 hours of nutritional instruction in med school. By aggressively treating the symptoms of Ds (vitamin deficiencies, biochemical imbalances, oxidative stress, hypothyroidism, apnea, growth hormone deficiency, malabsorption, etc.) we can improve, correct and prevent many of the problems associated with Ds. If your doctor is telling you otherwise, their expectations for your child are too low.
(Note: I would not take any comment saying "I am sorry" as having him in my life is nothing to be sorry for and I pity those who might feel like that, cos a child for me is not an investment)
"When your heart cracks open, it allows the light to shine in."
My Aaru is my means to glory..to beauty..to wonder..to miracle and to the very thing that makes me
Here is my FB post which I put up last month
October is the month of down syndrome awareness and in this month(after much apprehensions) I choose to make the small world in FB aware of the fact that my baby has down syndrome and it means nothing compared to the possibilities and potentials he has
I will be posting more DS myths in days to come but today I want to just share this small story someone posted in another group:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of special needs children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of special needs children are chosen ? Somehow, I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.
„Armstrong, Beth; son; patron saint, Matthew.“
„Forrester, Marjorie; daughter; patron saint, Cecelia.“
„Rudledge, Carrie; twins; patron saint… give her Gerard. He’s used to profanity.“
Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles, „Give her a special needs child.“
The angel is curious. „Why this one, God ? She’s so happy.“
„Exactly,“ smiles God.
„Could I give a special needs child a mother who does not know laughter ? That would be cruel.“
„But has she patience ?“ asks the angel.
„I don’t want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she’ll handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence. She’ll have to teach the child to live in her world and that’s not going to be easy.“
„But, Lord, I don’t think she even believes in you.“
God smiles. „No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness.“
The angel gasps, „Selfishness ? Is that a virtue ?“
God nods. „If she can’t seperate herself from the child occasionally, she’ll never survive. Yes, there is a woman I will bless with a child less then perfect. She doesn’t realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a ‚spoken word.‘ She will never consider a ‚step‘ ordinary. When her child says ‚Momma‘ for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it ! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations.
„I will permit her to see clearly the things I see — ignorance, cruelty, prejudice — and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side.“
„And what about her patron saint ?“ asks the angel, his pen poised in midair.
God smiles. “ A mirror will suffice.“
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS myth : Down syndrome is genetic so there's nothing you can do to treat it. Just take her home and love him.
DS reality : Ds is genetic. There is no cure, but the underlying mechanisms are biochemical and thus can be treated through diet, supplementation and targeted nutritional intervention. Even cognitive delays are now being treated.Unfortunately, most doctors receive less than 24 hours of nutritional instruction in med school. By aggressively treating the symptoms of Ds (vitamin deficiencies, biochemical imbalances, oxidative stress, hypothyroidism, apnea, growth hormone deficiency, malabsorption, etc.) we can improve, correct and prevent many of the problems associated with Ds. If your doctor is telling you otherwise, their expectations for your child are too low.
(Note: I would not take any comment saying "I am sorry" as having him in my life is nothing to be sorry for and I pity those who might feel like that, cos a child for me is not an investment)
"When your heart cracks open, it allows the light to shine in."
My Aaru is my means to glory..to beauty..to wonder..to miracle and to the very thing that makes me


3 comments:
I love every post about Aaru; this in particular makes him even more endearing to my heart as I see in it your pride of having him as much as his beauty in reflecting you. Wow; what a beautiful bond!
Beautiful!
Life is organic and connected; every moment to be savoured for all it has to offer before we make our exit; everything else to categorize and box it is bullshit. Doctors are mere tools one can employ to ones life.
He will live and love life to fullest. ** hugs to the little darling **
PS - You are right about the myth you busted.
That's a handsome young man i see. Im sure you will help him live life to the fullest, while making time for you and your partner.
Cheers,
CRD
Thanks CRD
Post a Comment