Gulzar is one lyricist whose lyrics have always enchanted me...right from my childohoodThis one from "Kitaab"..."master jee ki aa gayi chitthi..chitthi mein se nikali billi"..loved hearing this song as a kid..fascinated by play of words...which dint have much meaning though..maybe thats why it was so much fun to memorize it
And as I grew..my idea of romance and love were so so besotted by his words..
"hamne dekhi hai in aankhon ki mehakti khushboo"...the idea of eyes having a fragrance was so intriguing..its as if the deeper senses within me were given apt words by him
and then "shaamen bujhane aati hain raaten...raaten bujhane tum aa gaye ho"...fills the heart with such a sweet feeling...inexplicable..wish I were him to be able to name this sweet feeling
Some of my other favorites:
"pahle se likha kuch bhi nahin..roj naya kuch likhti hai tu..jo bhi likha hai dil se kiya hai..yeh lamha filhaal jee lene de" - for someone like me, who lives in moments..and dies in them too..this is so apt!
"baadlon se kaat kaat ke..kagazon mein naam jodna..yeh mujhe kya ho gaya"--i wish someone sung this for me...
"khamosh sa afsana...paani pe likha hota..na tumne kaha hota...na humen suna hota" - for that unsaid unspoken love..a gay abandon in the words
"kya bhala hai kya bura..ho sake to jala dil jala" - another one from libaas..dont know why but feels very close to my heart
"sili hawa choo gayi...tumse mili jo jindagi, humne abhi boyi nahin" - romance accentuated by Lata's haunting voice..always created a pic in front of me...took me to sea side..beautiful breeze..hair blown away in carelessness...and lonely moon looking down at me
"bechara dil kya kare..saawan jale bhado jale" - as a kid I used to sing this song a lot..dint understand the meaning though..just the word "bechara" sounded fun so liked the song..but now I love the song for its simplicity..child like innocence...and depth
"Aapki aankhon mein kuch mehke hue se raaj hain" - As a teenager, I would stand in front of the mirror and imagine that my eyes were as myterious as the song's description
"Aajkal paon jameen par nahin padte mere..bolo dekha hai kabhi tumne mujhe udate hue" - This song always makes one feel the euphoria of new found love..when one is floating in air..gliding past days and nights in a sweet intoxication...at least I used to :)
I never seem to do justice to his works..there are way too many songs which have been with me all these years...maybe when I again feel motivated enough..would take some more of his songs
Thank you Gulzaar..for defining love and and pain...
giving us less mortals something to be happy about..even in sadness
for making my adolescence full of dreams..
And also corrupting it :) (Cos till date I look for someone who would say
"tum pukaar lo...tumhara intezaar hai")
You remind me of a time lost..an old world charm...retained in your white kurta..and that lilting voice of yours...which takes me far away...to my world
PS- my sis lived in a house bang opposite to yours in pali hills....and me and my mom would hang at our window to stare at you whenever you came in your balcony..we could see you in your kurta..working on something..and I would always wonder whats going on in your mind right now..are you thinking of someone..or writing a letter to a beloved :)

9 comments:
i feel like adding my favourites here as well. will write some of them anyway :)
the best thing i like about gulzaar is his imagination, so simply put in even simpler words. like this one - "chalk se chaand pe likh diya.."
then there is one line from sunset point that goes - usne aane mein der kar di, par woh samay par aayee!
and the penultimate tujhse naraaz nahi zindagi and mere kuchh samaan..
i think i can go on and on.. why dont you open a my favourite Gulzar lyrics post on your blog!
Raina,You are most welcome to write more on Gulzar..You can treat this as that post and go on..all those who have been a gulzar fan could pour in! I would love to see if there is any song I missed out(not in the post but in my mind there are way too many)
Hippo…have been meaning to write this since I read ur post. While it reminded of the quintessential romantic in Gulzar, it took me back to a lot of discussions we use to have over his abstract yet earthy lyrics. Some were funny too. One such was at LSR…over a cup of tea I’m sure. The song was “Mera Kuch Samaan”…and of the several turn of phrases, the one that intrigued us the most was “Sookha to mai le aayi thi, geela man shayad bistar ke paas pada ho”……ain? What is this? …..while some went deeper (and closer to Gulzar’s idea may be….who knows??)..and said “oh, it means the heart with complaints over love”…some said “arey nahi, bheeg rahe the na dono, to sookha heart le aayi thi or geela chor aayi thi”..what in the world did this mean???...hee hee, I would surely not like to recall which group I belonged to!!
Over Chupke-Se, Lag Ja Gale.. Taru said once, oh words like February etc have come, OUGHT TO BE GULZAR but it’s true that he lends a world of meaning and sentiments to the daily mundane objects/thoughts…scattered in the house…..wandering in the minds…”din khali khali bartan hai or raat hai jaise andha kuan…” and then you are forced to think, did I not feel exactly like this a few days ago?
And as you say the list goes on…..like “chand ka teeka matthe laga kar raat din taaron me jeena veena easy nahi”…it’s not easy to pen down or even put a finger on the feelings aroused whenever one listens to his words.
Keep writing….
Belna..how could I forget "mera kuch saaman"..spent days and nights goign over each line..and figuring out the multiple meanings and possibilites
He surely gives one food for thought :)
And then "chupke se lag ja gale"..the line I like best "doston se jhoothi moothi doosron ka naam leke..teri meri baatein karna"..reminds me of things we did as teenagers :)
ya Gulzar is Gulzar..and Taru is funny :)
Ohhhh..and how did I miss out this one "ek hi khwaab kayi baar dekha maine..tumne saari merin uras lee hai meri chabhiyan ghar ki..aur chali aayi hai bas yun hi mera haath pakad ke"...wow..makes one feel like being in love
In these days of heart-shaped balloons n almost reflex I-love-you's, the word "love" itself has been rendered small n ineffectual, as if its true meaning wasnt already elusive enough...
But then u listen to smthng like this n smhow want to believe again :)
Ham Ne Dekhi Hai In Aankhoon Ki Mahakati Khushaboo
Haath Se Chhuuke Ise RishtoN Kaa Ilzaam Na Do
Sirf Ehasaas Hai Ye Ruuh Se Mahasuus Karo
Pyaar Ko Pyaar Hi Rahane Do Koi Naam Na Do
:) well said
muskurahat si chupi rahti hai hothon pe kahin
aur palkon pe ujale se jhuke rahte hain
honth kuch kahte nahin kaanpte hothon pe magar
kitne khamosh se afsane ruke rahte hain
Needless to say he is a genius. There are so many but one of my favorite line from album Sunset Point is: "woh der se pahuncha tha lekin waqt par pahuncha".
Also check his "Trivenis" if you haven't done so.
-Bibhuti
yes sunset point is one of my favs too.haunting songs
Sure will check..thanks :)
Post a Comment