- Shantaram
I read this and I said "Yes yes yes!", I know that kind of love!
I understand it oh so truly and completely!
I have always tried giving proper words to this emotion and here it is "vassal-love"!
And somehow I feel all love/affection have under-currents of this in it..all!
And please note, its "inequality" and not "difference". We all know differences attract us to each other, but this inequality, which he talks about here, is something different
And many a times its this love, which springs cos one loves what one lacks in oneself.
If you are a timid person, you get drawn to assertive ones..if you are unstable and impulsive you fall for the stability that another seems to provide..if you are classy and prudent, sometimes the uncouthness in someone draws you, cos you dont seem to afford it
And since I understand it, I feel its my analysing skills which sometimes stop me from falling in love with all my heart.
Cos I always seem to understand where it is coming from..and I come to a conclusion that it might not be love..and avoid.
Apart from that, I am totally besotted by this book right now. Its a masterpiece, and I am getting to know so much about my own country from a foreigner, specially the famous slums of Bombay, the mafia world et al..
A good book is such an addiction and occupation..I never turn over pages cos it does not get boring even for a second and I have already read more than 400 pages till now
I have been scrambling to get some facts about this book. It seems like an auto-biography, but all incidents and characters might not be real.
I searched google, you tube...but nothing says if all of it has actually happened.
And how I have bene hoping that the female Karla is for real..it would be such a disappointment if she was not to be...I would love to see what she looked like.
And this is the famous Leopold cafe and bar in Mumbai, which the author keeps talking about in thenovel and creats such a vivid images of this place which had a mystique, a business , a purpose..

2 comments:
ah love, with so many of its facets :-)
Is it not..:) Its mystery is unbound
Post a Comment