About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ma, there are wolves outside

I have always been wary of seeing a group of men laughing and joking around.
It used to scare the shit out of me and I used to freeze in my tracks.

The city I belong to, has a massive image for eve-teasing. And I have borne the brunt of it zillion times

One of the main concerns in my life, as a teenager, used to be : how to move around without a male escort

I remember my morning tussle with Ma, to let go of the male helper, so that he can accompany me till bus stand

Whether I had to go to the college and catch an auto, or go out to be with a friend..
There were always some group of guys out there to beat the shit out of me

It could happen just outside the house, within a few feet's' distance
I had to change my lanes, change the path many a times, just to avoid such encounters

One could be practically molested on the streets in broad daylight. Whether you are in a rickshaw or an auto..you were constantly in danger of being touched, pounced, squeezed, pinched
And not to talk about the verbal assaults one had to bear...one has to really let oneself go dumb, to be able to bear all that

The same followed in my post-grad. I was in a prestigious institute in my state, where there were 8 boys hostels compared to just 2 girls hostels.

We had a time of our lives each day, when we had to cross the boys' hostels, from our girl's hostel, to reach the insti.
we had branded some of the hostel numbers as "THE WORST" ones, and we would force ourselves to go dumb, deaf, stoic...every time we crossed these hostels

We would close our eyes, clutch our books to our bosoms, and hold each other's hands and just speak to each other and say "Dont listen to them, its Ok" and cross these hostels, while the guys would be ready to jump from their terrace, barking like dogs..all sorts of blasphemies..

We had accepted it as a regular thing in our lives. Whether we went to canteen or performed on stage, we just knew that all we would get is whistles, cat calls etc...but that dint stop us from enjoying ourselves

Educated, or un-educated..men have more or less made me feel the same

And right here in Bangalore, while I was coming back from work, my hands full of grocery shopping, it happened
Just outside my house, 20 feet away..2 guys on a bike crossed me and pulled at me

I could not do a thing. My hands were full of bags, and even though I shouted..they just turned around and gave me a hideous smile..

And supposedly I stay in a posh colony, and Bangalore is supposed to be a safe place?

I hope men realise some day what such acts does to us. The helplessness, the sudden burst of tears, the insult and a creepy disgusting feeling which stems from being a woman and not being able to control things!

Even now, seeing a group of guys together... having a laugh, makes me very uneasy..even at this stage of my life

So just a few days back, I had to make a presentation to my team in a conference room.
When I stood outside and looked in, I saw office mates, all laughing and joking amongst themselves, and for a fraction of a second my hands stopped at the door knob and I gasped : "There are guys inside!"

But the very next second I dismissed the thought and told myself "This is office and nothing can happen here", and entered the room.

This just made me realise that our teenage is never over.
All our insecurities we build back then, we carry remnants of it..for life..everywhere

18 comments:

moonstruckmoth said...

The worst is the not-so-overt teasing...the overt ones we can confront, but the not-so-overt ones, it's tricky...
But a friend of mine said it's best just to raise a hue n cry...the public attention scares away these cowards...
N carry a pepper-spray...it's easily available these days

WomanInLove said...

Yeah I usually do that. Slapped a few at times. But at times you can not do anything. Specially if you are walking and they are on a vehicle. This incident happened within residential area, where people wont come out even if they heard someone dying

WomanInLove said...

Btw welcome back Raj. It has been a long long time since you came here and wrote anything. Look fwd to more posts from you :)

moonstruckmoth said...

Ya I'm back in the blogosphere after almost two yrs...m hoping for good.

BTW, I shamelessly lifted that Feedjit idea frm ur blog! ;-)
Thnx!

Keep writing...will be bak soon...

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Men are basically afraid of women and that's why they use the fear of eve-teasing and rape to control them.

Susan Griffin, a feminist theorist, calls this the 'male protection racket'. Women alone are vulnerable and in danger and they need male protection. 'Each man could maintain his hold on "his" woman by threatening her what could be done to her in the absence of his protection...By this primitive system, the law of the urban jungle, no woman could afford to be without her protector...who could become her rapist as well'.

It is for this reason that men created the ideal of a woman as docile, meek, submissive and shy in this patriarchal system. See, how difficult it is for men to handle independent and aggressive women.

Yes, eve-teasing needs to be checked through stern action but what is actually required is a change in the male mindset.

WomanInLove said...

@Syed - And that mindset will never chane, even if we wait for eras..I guess the main reason behind all this is physical weakness in women, which will never change.

@Raj - Feedjit is all over, so I cant copyright it :)

Syed Ali Hamid said...

This mindset can, and hopefully will, change with time and the way gender equality is slowly taking over, we can definitely be hopeful. See, this menace is not there in matriarchal societies like in parts of the North-east. Male aggresiveness and chauvinism is more pronounced, I think, in the North where masculinity is associated with violence rather than chivalry.

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Remember how the chivalrous Sir Walter Raleigh spread his coat over a muddy puddle for Queen Elizabeth.

WomanInLove said...

@Syed - Yes, you may be right. But by then I might be dead :)

moonstruckmoth said...

Adding u to my blogroll...hope it's ok :)

WomanInLove said...

Sure it is :)

Unknown said...

just superb !!

Jai HO Mangalmay HO

wildflower said...

I still don't have the guts to write about things that trouble me the most
Rajita. This is one such..I am feeling so relieved that you wrote this out.. my engineering days, the 13:1 ratio, changed the person I was, it mutilated my confidence like nothing else could..

WomanInLove said...

Women that we are Wildflower. In all our bithicness, sassiness, nastiness..we are the only ones who can ever understand this feeling.

Hopelessly Flawed said...

Hi!I just stumbled on your blog and honestly there is something about it which is very inspiring.I hope you let random people follow if they want to follow.

@this post
when i was in school there was this otherwise very impressive female teacher that used to preach us that these things happen to girls that "ask for it"..and half my life I've actually doubted if i was asking for it...but i know better now.
I've studied in Punjab...and it is pretty bad here too..the way girls deal with it here is by remembering "it's not personal"...it is just something boys do to have fun...which i can't really get...coz they're teasing me,touching me...how on earth is that not personal????

WomanInLove said...

@Hoplessly flawed - Sure anyone can follow my blog and you are welcome. Thanks for finding it inspiring.

Not personal? Whats that? Its crazy how sometime women can be women's worst enemy. I have come to terms with lots of things in life, and this is one of them

And I would never change :)

Neha said...

aah.. now here you have reflected on things which a woman wants to cry out to the world, but hardly finds the courage to...

you are rite, only a woman can understand this.. plus, this is true that the ugly mindset of mind can never be changed!

WomanInLove said...

Neha - See another woman has understood it :)