
udate pairon ke tale jab behti hai jameen
Mud ke hamen koi manjil dekhi hi nahin
( Roads glide past my flying feet,
I never looked back at any milestone of my life)
But this one road, I can give anything to walk them again..to relive those days and months and years
Someone shared a picture of my institute on FB today (the one above)
Oh! how my heart tugs along that pathway, as if the wind blowing there craves out my heart and pulls it along..on those dreams-laden streets
It shocks me how I wish for what has been and never again will be
Are we all such puppets to our past?
How I want to be there again, the walks, the laughter, the insane talks
My my...the follies of youth and the vagaries of heart..
Anything to do it one more time
Those were my golden days...my, mine, for me
I can picture myself sitting near the hostel fence, with a cup of tea, dreams in eyes, song on lips
The small room which gave birth to the three of us who shared that room, birth to maddening laughter within us and boy talks, birth to unknown facets of friendship, love and vodka
As I lay there in the middle, feigning interest in "Fountainhead", while the two of you chatted about boys in our class, and tried desperately to make me laugh
I have trodden those paths many a time, so much that smell of yellow grass still feels fresh on my skin right now

9 comments:
You were lucky. I didnt get that.
But I love this line:
"My my...the follies of youth and the vagaries of heart..."
@Raaji - Why could you not?
Hit by nostalgia :)
yes..strong and strange :)
Nice to see Eliot here.
Yes, 'those were the days, my friend'. Listen to this song by Andy Williams. Very nostalgic.
We are our past; can't shirk it off, keeps coming back. See the state of mind expressed by Firaq Gorakhpuri:
Ek muddat se teri yaad bhi aayi na hamein/
Aur ham bhool gaye hon tujhe aisa bhi nahin.
Sorry, the Andy Williams song is 'Seasons in the sun'.
@Syed - I love both those poems. The one by Firaq amd "Seasons in the sun". I love these lines:
"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the hills that we climbed
were just seasons out of time"
Milan Kundera says in his novel "The unbearable lightness of being" - "In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia."
'Those were the days, my friend' is sung by Mary Hopkin. Sorry for the confusion.
During my student days, there was not much mixing among the sexes. A friend of mine used to stand at the chauraha of a busy street in Lucknow at 5 pm every day; the girl he liked used to come to her window and they used to look at each other like this for a few minutes.This went on for about four years till she got married to someone else. They never talked to each other. Reminded us of Browning's poem, 'The Statue and the Bust'.
The favourite couplet for boys standing under a tree on hot summer afternoons was:
Mujhe kisi ka intezaar tha varna/
Kisi darakht ka saaya to ek bahaana tha.
Romantic, isn't it?
Your post brought back these memories.
Thats such a sweet and romantic anecdote. I also have had such mute conversations and I used to think that was love :)
Post a Comment