About Me

My photo
I am not your mystery woman, I am not your muse..I am not your soulmate, just a passionate woman looking for her own peace of mind... Heart is a lonely hunter!!! "Within us there is someone who knows everything, wills everything, does everything better than we ourselves"~I guess this is Hermen Hesse

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Siblings are the keeper of one's identity

I wish siblings knew each other and loved each other till the time they could, with all their hearts..and then lost touch once they moved on, in different directions

Cos sometimes the mapping of wonderful childhood and crooked present makes things all the more ugly

So, that they can be remembered by the sunny winters spent with tea-sipping and gossiping, the dance rehearsals and heart talks
And not the indifference which creeps in with time, not the distance which commences like a poignant wound

I run behind to capture the lost warmth, but each of our meeting slips it away..further..till I can no longer see it
And assume that it never was the way I imagined it to be

There was a time when everything which happened to me had to be linked with my sisters/cousins. The hidden meanings of things which only we could decipher, in our own strange ways..every single time the only thought in my mind would be "I have to go back and tell this to my sisters".

From a meaning-less glance from a cute boy, to meaning-ful feelings of our nascent hearts...from shredding apart meaning of every line of a song to .. counting the number of days we stayed without each other..

We built our childhood and adolescence in different hues

When in drunken stupor, I had this strong urge to call one of them..and just talk any crap.
With time those desires have died down. How I wish I could revive it, but it has reached a no man's land.

Now even something very important to me also goes unnoticed, un-talked  about. The sheen and richness gone. When did this happen?

 As a teenager I used to look at some of our adults and wonder how they could bitch about their own siblings to their spouses, and haughtily think that we will never grow apart..not an ounce from how we were.

We all live plain lives, most of us, al least I do. And what keeps us going are those bouts of exhilarating experiences we have had in our lives. Those rainbows in our lives, are the ones we want to recur in succession. With someone close, some city , some drink, some song.
And if I look back I guess my times with siblings & cousins have been the best..that is when they were...not anymore.

Now I dread my times with them, cos they will further make me believe that whats lost can never be revived.

They say change is inevitable, outgrowing one relation and growing into another is the way it is. But I refuse to agree with this decorum of life. If one can not sustain what was beautiful, then every thing beautiful in the present will lose its meaning to us gradually. If we can't love the ones the way we loved them earlier, but make new friends and progress with our life as if nothing has changed, then am sorry I dont belong to that category of people. For me friends could never replace family, my people, my childhood, my roots. If we drive ourselves away from them, we are rejecting our very roots. I am proud of what I was with you all, and my pride in anything new in life will always be based on what I had.

Or maybe we are just one dysfunctional family, which disintegrated with time..for no concrete reason? or is it just me feeling this way these days?

This post isn't meant to lash out at any of you sisters/brothers, specially you two who read this blog but never comment.
 But just a rhetoric in my mind, and trying to understand..the inevitable!

But I still remember that patch of sun on our bed, where we often huddled around  on late winter mornings, lazily flitting through one topic to another, in our innocence, in our love for life, in our glory. And we shifted our positions during all this, to capture that piece of sun, which shifted its position as the day went by

That piece of sun is what I will always remember and try to bring it back in my life, in different ways..

A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self. - Marian Sandmaier

14 comments:

Syed Ali Hamid said...

I know; how things change with time, while we chart our lives. We may come closer, but that's rare; usually we grow apart while moving on with life. It's sad, in some cases, painful; but the only sane path is that of acceptance and, 'in vacant or in pensive mood'(to quote Wordsworth in another context), sometimes those memories flash in our minds and take us back to those days when everything was so simple. It again is; but the intervening years of complexity changed everything.

Waabasta meri yaad se kuch talkhiyan bhi thi(n)/
Achcha kiya jo mujhko faramosh kar diya.

Anonymous said...

I know this feeling, i have 4 sisters. 2 elder and 2 younger..it seems they all are grown up and i am not. Not able to connect to them the way i wanted to.

pygmalion said...

many of us change in course of time, but not so much as not to cherish the fond memories, and to feel the same love.. again n again

WomanInLove said...

Syed - Bahut umda sher hai ye.

kabirrao - I wonder why things have to change

pygmalion - I just wish I can get it back again..that sun in my life

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Khubsoorat unglion se likhi haseen ibaratein padh kar achche sh'er hi yaad aatey hain.

Unspoken said...

This is aching and yet somehow hopeful. You have a beautiful way with words. Thank you for visiting my blog!

I am only sad I can't read the comments here as I am curious how others have responded to you piece :).

WomanInLove said...

She - Thanks, but you should be able to read the comments I published

Anisha said...

I have a brother and we meet once a year when we both visit home for the holidays.

I miss him and the fond memories over the numerous board games and cartoon network.

The Childhood memories with him remain as vivid as it happened just yesterday.

This is such a lovely post.

Not Just My Allegories

WomanInLove said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WomanInLove said...

Thanks AP and welcome to my blog!

Syed Ali Hamid said...

Koi pratikriya nahin? Baat kuch naagawaar to nahin guzri?

WomanInLove said...

Syed - :) naagwaar to nahin gujri but sometimes a reaction dilutes meaning of things so I refrain

Sayantan, etc. said...

Can you love someone with the same intensity forever? And when you want to make progress in life, you just have to put behind certain people and memories, or at least make an effort to do so. Agree or disagree?

WomanInLove said...

Sayantan - I dont agree. Some people and some phases in your life are indelible. Moving on erases all that you were and had..and there is no beauty in it