So I had another of my "firsts" yesterday. Watched the India-Ireland match in stadium.
I had decided not to go, though my sister had come down from Delhi and she had passes for all of us.
Even my cousin and a friend had flown down from Hyderabad, just to watch the match.
But after Ireland's batting was over, I suddenly had this urge to be there. I thought to myself, Bangalore is offering me yet another first, and I should grab it.
So I rushed to at least watch the Indian side of batting.
And as I sat there watching, I had a few revelations: About myself and the match:
- That I liked being part of the Mexican waves which the crowd was making
- That the larger than life image of cricketers playing it out on the ground could sometimes look so small and achievable. I thought I could have ran better between the wickets :)
- That I sometimes forgot it was a real match happening right in front of my eyes, but many a times mistook it for large TV screen and some of the shots looked like replay.
- That at times when the batsman is ready to play and bowler is about to bowl, there could be one fielder near boundary, who is rolling on the ground, stretching his muscles, or getting some first aid done. Its not all "Action packed drama" on the field, all the time
- That crowd goes berserk as much for Tendulkar as for Yusuf Pathan.
- That people are camera crazy.
So my first ever "stadium-watching-match" was a world cup, in my city.
All this high..without a drop of alcohol!

4 comments:
All said and done, imagine alcohol added to your experience and the high could have got a little more higher.
Not to mention we would have seen some more points added to your revelations, which I don't think anyone could mind.
:P
ha ha ha I am sure..but I jst wanted to experience a high without it
Hi Bangalorean,
I was randomly clicking around and landed on your blog. First I was got curious by your profile name :), but later on found your posts really interesting. As I can related to Bangalore a lot, I am starting with the Bangalore posts.
I too had my brush with Chinnaswamy at a recent India-Aus cricket match and it was indeed memorable. Not just because Sachin completed 14000 runs in front of my eyes, but also because suddenly I was supposed to awe at the celebrity-hood of a certain Vijay Mallya, a Sharada Ugra, and the like whom I didn't even stop to hear the name before. I could see something different out there which I couldn't express. I like your post and will come back to read more.
So are you finally a WomaninLove with cricket now? :)
Vikas - I was in love with cricket as a kid. More cos of my father and the whole atmosphere of cricket-love in our joint family
Post a Comment