Today while coming to work my auto was stopped in the middle of the road, along with other traffic moving in my direction.
Some workers, who were working on broadening the road we were moving on, stopped us.
Reason - The bulldozer needs to come this way, from the opposite direction and enter this road from wrong side.
Whoa! And this happened right at Vellara Junction which is a prime area, just off MG and brigade road. To top it it was the peak traffic hour when all are moving towards their offices.
I started asking auto guy as to what was happening, since I dont understand Kannad(even after 8.5 years in this city). When he told me, I got furious and stepped out and told them to move away and let the traffic go.
Such work is not to be done during peak hours, plus getting that huge thing from completely wrong direction? Who does that?
Seeing me, the other girl in a car next to my auto started meekly too.
Those workers tried arguing with me for sometime. But since I wasn't relenting(and when I get furious no one can argue with me), they thought its best to tell me that they don't understand Hindi and cant speak to me
Oh, so after conversing with me for sometime in Hindi, they had momentary lapse of Hindi-knowledge?!
But thankfully my auto guy was decent and took over from me in their native language(not for the love of me but auto drivers hate wasting time in traffic and many a times would reject dignity of a red-light too)
So they had to finally stop from stopping us, before their bulldozer can make its grand entry.
But I was left wondering where can such bizarre things happen in this world?
I dont think metros like Delhi, Bombay are tolerant towards such idiosyncrasies.
Bangalore has yet to learn that it is also in the same league!

13 comments:
Naturally, the main driving force is need and greed in the human being.
Traffic rules are not violated because of the absence of common man's knowledge of the rules and signs but they are blindly working to make their ends meet.
So the greed takes over the need followed by violations including mis behaviour etc.
Workoholism of auto drivers is beyond their control.
I am joining your site please join mine and visit to comment on my new article. Thanks
I don't know if we'll be able to get rid of this arrogance of the govt. machinery, but the moral of the story is: implement the 3-language formula, quick; at least we can argue freely then.
Tariq - And another disadvantage is population and lack of infrastructure to support that. We lose our patience quite often cos of it
Syed - I need someone who is interested in teaching me that 3rd language. I tried but people get exasperated cos of my million questions
One lady scolded the workers and stopped the bulldozer from coming out. The bulldozer broke down that evening and hence the workers couldn't bulldoze the road properly. Consequently, The tar wore off soon and the road is full of potholes within a month. Everyone blames the government now.. :)
Vikas - Wonder where you come up with such imaginative deductions!
Maybe from the idle time I get when I am stuck in traffic? Probably I would lose those precious moments if I try to fight and get the traffic moving again.
Vikas - Ahhhh! Now I know what to do
Lady come to Delhi once and you will know how bad men here are. In Bangalore only traffic is bad whose taste you got but in Delhi all men are sharks preying upon single women
I have lived in Delhi for 10 years and am originally a Kannadiga
Pesto Sauce - Delhi is like 2nd home to me and I have had worst experience of eve teasing here than there. Men are men..everywhere
Obviously 8.5 years was not enough for you to learn that the it is Kannada, and not Kannad!
Obviously 8.5 years was not enough for you to learn that the it is Kannada, and not Kannad!
Hey, please do not publish my previous comment. I just wrote it in a flash of irritation because I am from Blore and dislike it when people dont bother to even pronounce the name of the language correctly.
Anyways, sorry about that. I stumbled upon your blog today and I must say your thoughts are quite beautiful!
V - Do you know how a word is to be pronounced when written in english or your mother tongue? And I am also sick of people misspelling my name and adding that extra "h" in my name all the time, so I would not bother to learn that language, or the people for sure!
Post a Comment